Tuesday, July 4, 2017

People need to think before they talk!

This will be a quick short post because I need to vent.  Today I had a lady come to my house to buy some patio furniture.  She was a complete stranger.... she insisted on talking to me about becoming a mother, now of course I know this woman has no idea what I am currently experiencing, but I just want to give people insight into what it is like to be a women in your 30's struggling to have a baby.  As I have mentioned before, women just do this.. they give you advice when you really don't care for it.. they talk to you like they know your situation when in fact none of us know each others pain or stress.

Anyway, she goes on to ask me flat out if I have any children, I smile and reply "not yet, but we are trying", hopeful that this will shut her up, take the furniture and leave.  Nope, of course not... she goes on to say, "Oh really, we tried for years" for a quick moment I thought maybe this was a god sign, maybe she was sent here to give me some hope... nope wrong again.. she goes on to tell me that she tried for over 10 years and she really never wanted to try that thing called "IVF"... then continues to say but my husband finally convinced me to try it, so I went to a doctor got all that horrible testing and was about to start IVF the next cycle, but there was never another cycle, I got pregnant... Thank god because I would have never wanted to do all that just to have a baby... it was all I could do to not punch her square in the face.. thank god it wasn't last week when I had all the hormones in me.. Chris may have been bailing me out of jail!

Now, I again understand this is not a negative story she told me, she meant nothing by it.  But my point is... I basically told you were are trying.. for all she knew I could have been trying for years already, I could have been currently going through IVF or I could be waiting to see the doctor first thing in the morning to see if I could begin IVF. We need to be more sensitive as women and be careful what we say... this isn't just about this particular situation, I hear mother's say all the time they feel judged by their peers. Some people just feel the need to assume they know about your situation and then give you unsolicited advice about it.

My advice for the day... think before you speak... could this upset the person, am I making assumptions about their life and then opposing my opinions on them???


No comments:

Post a Comment