Monday, July 24, 2017

Small Victories in the IVF game

Well... of course because I prepared myself all weekend for the cycle to be officially cancelled, I go in this am and the smaller follicles have grown to 19mm!!! So now... I have a 28mm (probably a cyst), 19mm, 19mm, and 13mm. Great news but still in the waiting game... waited all day for the doctor to call to discuss our options....

He finally called around 4:30 and I conferenced Chris into the call.  He basically told us that with my condition of a low AMH (0.5) I wouldn't produce a lot of eggs no matter what medicine protocol we were on.  He said the 2 were good, of course he hoped for more, but it is to be expected with my condition to only have a few eggs... he also reminded us that it only takes 1 good egg to make a baby.  He recommended that we continue the stims (medicine) and come back on Wednesday in hopes that the 13mm has caught up and possibly another smaller one would be closer by the time of retrieval.  We agreed to this... so for now its back to the shots and more waiting, hoping and praying my body does it's job.

The biggest thing about this process that nobody knows unless you have gone through it is all the tough decisions you have to make and its all for just a CHANCE to have a baby. There are no guarantees at all... so its completely a risk.  Chris and I discussed it and we have said all along, we are going to try this once with my own eggs... so we are all in... if this is the best my body can do with the help of medicine then all thats left to do is cross our fingers, hold hands and hope this gives us a healthy baby.


I also want to say, that I decided to share my blog publicly with our entire friends and family this weekend.  I was very scared to do so, but I couldn't be happier about my decision.  I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders and I can be myself around everyone I know. I received messages and comments from strangers sharing their experience and thanking me for sharing mine.  It makes it all worth it if I can help anyone or just let them know they are not alone.  Every woman knows, we shame ourselves and some times other women way too much, we need to break the silence and support each other regardless of our opinions. There are quite a few people that have said nothing, and thats ok too.  I understand not everyone can understand this process, but my hope is the more I speak and share the more that they will, and if not then, oh well.  As I have said before, this is OUR story and OUR struggle and all we can do is make OUR decisions together, as long as we are comfortable and happy with them, that's all that matters.  So, if you are struggling with infertility, I encourage you, share your story, there is freedom in truth, plus knowledge is power and eliminates some ignorance.

No comments:

Post a Comment